Introductions and Intentions


Recently I found myself doing something that I figuratively hate more than anything: boredom eating. I was stuck at the office for the entire day without a single thing to do, and so ended up snacking mid-afternoon and polishing off a whole bag of chocolate-coated brazil nuts. I wasn’t even hungry! I realised that I needed something to kick me back into gear and keep me accountable, so lo and behold, a blog appears!

To be fair, that isn’t the only reason I decided to start this blog. I’ve tried numerous times before to keep one active, and failed, in part due to laziness and in part due to casting my net too widely for topics. If you can write about anything at all, I actually find it a lot harder to decide what to write. My dad had been talking to me recently about starting up a recipe/food blog since my family are getting a little sick of me talking about food so much, and I decided that it would be a great idea to combine the two – a food/recipe blog with a health/fitness blog. After all, they go so well together! Everyone knows that the most important part of fitness is what’s done in the kitchen.

To return to my recent boredom eating, I recognise that polishing off one single bag of chocolate brazil nuts isn’t really cause for concern. Yes, they’re high in calories and fat, but nuts are very good for you and the vast quantity as a one-off is fine. The problem I have is that it wasn’t a one-off. Lately I’ve been bad snacking all of the time – made worse, in part, by the fact that the main location to get drinks/snacks at work is a Starbucks. I’ve been consuming more than my fair share of sugary lattes and caramel waffles etc. recently, and giving into the temptation – I mean, if everyone else is doing it, why shouldn’t I?

But the food problems don’t stop there. The increase in eating sugar and fat during the day has seeped into what I’m craving of an evening. I’ve started wanting to eat more comfort-food dinners, such as pies with mashed potato (which were delicious, but I can’t have all the time), or having poptarts, peanut butter cups, apple pie etc. after dinner where previously I would forgo dessert. Breakfast this morning was selections from the hotel full English, which worked out at around 880 calories. I can’t keep eating like this.

Luckily, in a very weird way, this last week was spent eating terribly at my parents’ house. I was visiting for several days for my great aunt’s funeral, and consumed excessive amounts of cake, pizza, chocolates, biscuits and pasta. By the end of the week, whilst I enjoyed my ‘holiday’ from healthy eating (although as I’ve already stated – what healthy eating?) I was desperate to eat a meal made entirely of vegetables.

Now this is not my parents’ fault. I am perfectly aware that when I visit them I snack too much on unhealthy foods, and I usually see it as fine because I eat well the rest of the time. But I was there last Tuesday evening – Saturday evening rather than just the weekend, and my diet the rest of the time leaves something to be desired.

Clearly I’ve managed to get myself back into a sugar addiction, hence the cravings. I’ve broken this addiction before, so I know I can break it again. I remember how happy I felt once I realised a few months ago that takeaway didn’t appeal to me in the slightest, and I need to get back to that state. I’m not saying that I need to be 100% strict and never have nice things, but I need to rework my definition of ‘nice things’, and make sure that 95% of the time I am on track so that I can enjoy the other 5% to the fullest.

Which I fully intend to do at brunch this Saturday.

So how am I going to do this? At the moment, I’m not entirely sure. Stop drinking lattes maybe, go back on the tea. Bring in my own healthy snacks so I’m not tempted by caramel waffles. I should probably get back on the calorie counting bandwagon to keep an eye on what I’m eating (such as realising my breakfast was 880 calories). It’s been a while since I did it religiously so I imagine my estimating has got worse in recent months. I need to re-evaluate what a portion size is, and what keeps me fuller for longer.

But like I said, I’m not entirely sure what the best way to go about changing things is. There might not be a right way. There might just be lots of little things I can do that will add up to greatness, and I intend to keep track of that here. And who knows, maybe something I find will help you too!